Troubleshooting installation issues on Joomla
Installing Tabulizer on Joomla is simple as installing any other simple extension, since all elements (component, plugins) are contained in a single installation file. The only thing you need to pay attention to is to install the proper installation file, using the following guidelines:
- Download tabulizer_UNZIPME.zip from www.tabulizer.com
- Unzip locally the tabulizer_UNZIPME.zip and select the subfolder that matches your Joomla version:
- help <- contains the documentation PDF file
- joomla1.5 <- contains the installation package com_tabulizer.zip for Joomla 1.5
- joomla 2.5 <- contains the installation package com_tabulizer.zip for Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 1.7
- joomla 3.0 <- contains the installation package com_tabulizer.zip for Joomla 3.x
If you don't do these steps correctly the installation will fail, usually with a JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file error message. If you have installed the wrong version, in some cases you may end up with a database that needs some clean up manually before installing the correct version.
If on the other hand you have select the proper installation package you are still having trouble, you need to investigate the following causes.
- Not enough resources to complete the installation.
If the available PHP memory, the max execution time or the max upload file size is not enough the complete the package uploading, decompression and installation.
Resolution: Increase these limits via php.ini or if that is not possible try to install the package from the directory (installation method #2) instead of uploading the package (installation method #1).
- Not enough file access rights (permissions).
When installing an extension you need access to the temporary installation folder. If the Joomla process does not have write permissions, the installation will fail.
Resolution: Change temporarily the file access permissions of the temp folder to 777 i.e. allow read/write access to all. Do not forget to restore the file permissions to the original state after the installation is over. You may also need to change the file permissions to other folders.
- Leftovers from a previous (failed) installation.
This is the toughest case, since there may be leftovers in the database that block the completion of the installation or the proper creation of the component's menus.
Resolution: Clean manually any Tabulizer's leftovers from the database tables (e.g. #__extensions). Try first to uninstall the Tabulizer component using Joomla's Extension Manager and this fails, use a tool like phpMyAdmin.