With Tabulizer you can do many things!
Tabulizer is an application that allows you to add tables to your Joomla! site (articles, modules, K2 items, etc), or your Wordpress site (posts and pages) easily with a consistent feel and look. This is done by letting Tabulizer to convert plain text to CSS styled HTML tables. This could be a huge time saver, especially if you are working a lot with the same type of tables, or if you want to copy table data from other documents, like MS Word and Excel.
You can define your own styles, or use one of the many predefined styles that come with the installation. In any case, you can create your own intelligent styling rules that will format your tables according to your specific needs. For instance, you can define a styling rule that says "I want the first row to have an orange background with bold white letters" or "I want every cell with value less than zero to have a yellow background". Once the styling rules are defined, you can apply them to the creation of any new table just with a single click.
On top of styling rules, you can also do simple data calculations (add, multiply), statistical operations (min, max, average values, etc), text replacements (find/replace) and cell formatting (e.g. convert to UPPERCASE, format as number or currency, change date format, etc)
Features available in Tabulizer v5.0
- Table editing. Tables created with Tabulizer are regular tables, meaning that you edit them like regular tables. This of course does not apply to dynamic tables that are created on the fly.
- Dynamic table creation. Apart from the static tables in which you convert your input data into a regular HTML table, you may choose to create a dynamic table in which the table changes every time the data source that is linked to is modified. A data source can be:
- An external file (Excel, CSV, HTML, XML, text)
- A database query (which can a database table or something more complicated)
- A Joomla article/Wordpress post (so many people can add/moidy data on the same table)
- A webpage (so you can extract data from a specific table from another website!)
- Import data directly from an Excel file. Import text, hyperlinks and images from any Excel file (*.xls and *.xlsx). You can also to choose to keep colors.
- Re-Tabulize an existing table. You can reTabulize an existing table if you want to beautify it by applying a new ruleset, or because you want to add new data.
- Table to Graph conversion. You can convert a regular HTML table into an interactive graph! Using the online graph creation wizard you can create your own graph template (or preset, with your graph preferences) and use it in your website to convert your existing or new tables into super cool graphs. Check out the graph creation wizard to get an idea of what you can do.
- Download and Email table data as file Sometimes you want site users and visitors to be able to download the table data as a file (CSV, Excel format). Tabulizer can do that with a single extra rule.
- Download and Email graph image as file Likewise, you can allow site users and visitors to be able to download the produced graph image as a file (png, gif, jpg format). Tabulizer can do that with a single extra rule.
- Responsive design. As the number of small devices (iPad, smart phones, etc) is increasing lately, so the need for a "responsive design", i.e. a web design in which the visual aspects of the web page "respond" to the device screen size. The responsiveness therefore is a design principle, not a concrete implementation. Tabulizer offers you the six more popular responsive design patterns to choose from. Make your HTML table or the produced graph responsive with a few clicks!
- Table sorting. Sort your table and let the user change the order (ascending/descending) and the sorting key column by clicking on the appropriate table header.
- Table search filter . Add a search filter so when a user types in a text value, only those table rows that contain this value will be displayed. The filtering can be done for the whole table, or have one filter per column (for the columns you choose). When you enable the column filtering, you can optionally specify the desired search method that can be (a) numeric range (b) exact match (c) starts with match (d) smart match (default)
- Table splitting. Break your large table into smaller tables by setting the size of the maximum number of rows. There are other parameters, like if you want to add an index for all sub-tables, if you want the tables to be on the same page or separate pages, if you want to add a show/hide effect and so on.
- Horizontal and vertical scrolls. Another option for large tables is that you can add horizontal and vertical scrollbars that will appear if the width/height of the table is too big. In the vertical scrolling the top header stays fixed, so only the rows below are getting scrolled. Same with horizontal scrolling, you may choose to keep the left column fixed and scroll the rest of the columns.
- Table prepend and append. Add some HTML code before of after the table. You can also combine it with the range value, so it appears only on certain cases (like, when the table contains a certain value, the number of rows/columns is within a specific range, etc)
- Data calculation. You can do many arithmetic or statistical operations, like add, remove, min, max, median, average. Not only that, but you can add your own custom operations (if you can write a simple PHP function). With a use of ranges and element sections you can also specify the exact range of the input arguments for your calculation functions.
- Data modification. If you want to modify the table in a way that is not possible using any other rule, you can specify a custom modification function that will have a chance to modify the input table before any other processing takes place.
- Data replacements. Find one value and replace it with another. One cool application of this feature is to replace words with images (for instance, the word Completed with an OK image)
- Data formatting. Change the format of you table data, depending on their types. Convert lowercase to uppercase, change the data format, the numeric format or the currency format.
- Cell merging. Set the autospan property if you want to merge automatically empty cells on sepcific row/column. Very useful for the header row(s) and column(s).
- Range and Element Sections Tabulizer version 4.x brings a very powerful table selection mechanism. When you define a rule you need to specify which table elements will be affected by this rule. Now you can united/exclude/filter multiple selections and extreme power and elegance. This is one of the great improvements in version 4.0.
- Rule Priority. All selected features correspond to a rule. Sometimes the order of execution may give a different result, and you can control it with the rule priority
- Data source merging. Create a table from various sources of the same source (e.g. an Excel file) or different sources (e.g. an Excel file, a database query and another web page).
- Improved security. Only certain user groups that you specify can use Tabulizer and its tools.
- User preferences . If you are using the same ruleset again and again you can set it the default one. You can also set the default column separator and text enclosure.
One of the following platforms is exptected to be installed and running.
- Wordpress 3.3 or newer
- Joomla 3.x
- Joomla 2.5
- Joomla 1.5
A recent version of PHP. Some non-default libraries (extensions) of PHP must be present otherwise part of the Tabulizer functionality may not be available. More specifically:
- MBString: This extension handles Multi-Byte Strings, which is necessary for handling text written in non-latin alphabets. Most likely it's already installed, so you don't have to do anything extra.
- Zip: When you import ruleset archives, Tabulizer unzips them using this extension. Most likely it's already installed, so you don't have to do anything extra.
- LibXML: Used by Re-Tabulizer to read properly an existing table. Most likely it's already installed, so you don't have to do anything extra.
A modern-day web browser. Firefox is recommended.